Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Start of Autumn

In autumn, the revolt was at its height on the season. I had about 120,000 followers, the Senate voted that the commander in chief of all the armies should go to Marcus Licinius Crassus. He had been a praetor in 73 B.C. Crassus was given six new legions plus the four consular legions. When one of his legates attacked me with two legions, I had defeated them. Crassus then used his forces to defeat me. That's when I retreated to Rhegium, in the toe of Italy. I tried to cross the straits into Sicily, but the Cilician pirates betrayed me. When Marcus Licinius Lucullus landed in Brundisium in the heel of Italy with his legions from Macedonia, this is when I finally fought my way out of the toe of Italy. I could not march to Brundisium and take a ship to the east, because of the presence of Lucullus.

No comments:

Post a Comment